Monday, October 14, 2013

REVIEW: DECEPTION BY CJ REDWINE.

Title: Deception (Defiance #2)
Author: C.J. Redwine
Edition: Paperback
Published: August 27, 2013
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Pages: 336 pages
Source: ARC sent by the Publisher
Category: Dystopia, Fantasy, Romance
Trailer: not applicable

AmazonBook DepositoryGoodreadsBarnes and Noble

Synopsis:

In this daring sequel to Defiance, with the world they once loved forever destroyed, Rachel and Logan must decide between a life on the run and standing their ground to fight. With their ragged group of survivors struggling to forge a future, it's up to Logan and Rachel to become the leaders they need. Under constant threat from rival armies and no place to call their own, the group decides to take their chances in the Wasteland, despite the deadly risk of The Cursed One. But soon their problems begin: someone - possibly inside their ranks - is sabotaging the survivors, picking them off one by one. They begin to question whether the price of freedom may be too great. And whether their band of survivors, hunted by their enemies and the murderous traitor in their midst, can make it out of the Wasteland alive... and whether Rachel and Logan can survive these trials together.
Deception is utterly captivating!

I couldn't wrap my mind about this feeling Deception left me. I was rendered senseless by the impact it has on me and the moment I finished Defiance, I just know I have to request for Deception! So thank you again Sarah of HarperCollins for making it possible! Deception claimed a special place in my heart and recommending/promoting this series will never give justice to the fantastic experience I had with it! It is a breath-taking novel.

After surviving the fires of the Cursed One, Rachel and Logan decide to ask for shelter in Lankenshire. Logan is voted to be the new leader and his responsibility is a little too much for him. While Rachel is still grieving over her loss, she still tries to be there for Logan, her friends and her people. But the Commander and the army aren't the only problem -- someone from their group is murdering innocent people and they have to be vigilant. They have to not only convince Lankenshire for an allegiance but to conquer whatever the Wasteland could bring.

Deception took every human emotion I could possibly feel. It is definitely way, way better than Defiance that devouring 336 pages is not enough. I finished it at 4:43 in the morning and every page kept me awake all night -- more than how caffeine can serve me. Every turn of its page made me hold my breath because this is a book I couldn't predict. It had my mind all over the place that whenever I try to pause and think how the course of events will turn, I fail. The novel progressed deeper than I thought it would, I didn't expect it to influence my emotions this strong. Unlimited action. Bittersweet romance. Tested friendship. Gained trust. Everything I ever hoped for a sequel, Deception delivered.

I may have experienced something like this is the past but I feel like this is first time I connected to a character this much. I have nothing in common with Rachel when it comes to her skills in battle but her emotions ate me alive. Her grief, guilt and longings pumped such tremendous amount pain in my heart. Her struggle to hold herself together and her attempt to block memories that blinds her from keeping her edge engulfed me. Those feelings are so familiar -- which is why this book became so special to me. I know those feelings. Her character is driven not only for what she have left but most especially for what she have lost. That to me promotes how much she values relationships and family.

Despite the heavy burden of being a leader, Logan embraced his new role. At his young age, he was able to encompass what a true leader should be -- compassionate, transparent, balanced and selfless. He may have had his plate full, he didn't mind facing every criticism thrown at his face. Instead he used it as a motivation. What I loved most about him in this novel is he didn't turn his back to his questioning people but instead gave them the benefit of the doubt. He remained strong and true to his motive.

Willow and Quinn surprised me by how much they matured. Slyph and Thom sucked my tear ducks dry while Adam and Frank shared unmeasurable courage and humbling friendship. They contributed sensible things in a chaotic circumstances. I deflected Ian's charm because he's full of himself and mad!

Deception surely tops my Best Sequel of 2013 list. It is overflowing with raw emotions, full blast actions and powerful analytical concept. It is truly a mind-blowing sequel that no one would forget easily. It tore my bookish defense wall brick by brick and didn't leave me with sufficient strength to move on. IT IS MY KIND OF SEQUEL. ONE OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL SEQUELS EVER WRITTEN.

Thank you again ever so much Sarah of HarperCollins for the ARC!


"I don't know how to do this without losing myself. I don't know how to pretend to be strong for everyone else when I have no strength left."
"I'm not brave. Not anymore. I'm a broken girl too terrified of losing herself to name her fears and fight against them."
""Tears don't bring people back." Pain stabs from my chest to my fingertips. "Tears aren't for people we've lost. They're for us. So we can remember, and celebrate, and miss them and feel human." He says.""
"Rachel, I know the pain scares you. It should because healing is so much harder than being hurt in the first place. But you will never get better until you stop running and start looking things in the eye. Until you give the things that hurt you the label they deserve, feel the way they make you feel and then let the pieces slowly settle until you can breathe again."

2 comments:

  1. Glad you loved this one! I wasn't the biggest fan of Defiance, it just wasn't for me, but I know so many people who LOVED it. I'm glad to hear the sequel was good :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...