Wednesday, May 14, 2014

REVIEW: WE WERE LIARS BY EMILY LOCKHART.

Title: We Were Liars
Author: E. Lockhart
Edition: Paperback
Published: May 13, 2014
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Pages: 240
Source: Bought from Fullybooked, Fort
Category: Contemporary
Trailer: Not applicable.

AmazonBook DepositoryGoodreadsBarnes and Noble

Synopsis:

A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.

We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart.

Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.
Less is definitely more.

Truth be told, I never heard much about We Were Liars. Yes, I've seen ARCs around but I didn't give much fuss about it. Until THAT day. That perfect day when 3 of my bookish friends (aka my #WWLSupportGroup Kai, Jesselle and Leslie) couldn't stop gushing about how much We Were Liars ruined their minds. That was also the day I found early copies from our local bookstore that I just had to grab my own copy. I devoured it like I didn't eat words for 5 lifetimes. That was the day I was torn apart, piece by piece, beyond repair.

We Were Liars is a story like no other. Unique, thrilling, magnificent, absolutely mind blowing and it is one billion sadness compressed into 240 pages. The confusion and questions I encountered the entire time were overwhelming. I saw Cadence's character as a very broken protagonist within a very greedy family that I hated the composition and combination of the Sinclair family. Their differences somehow collided with their motive which was their old man's wealth. I couldn't understand how Cadence was just so fragile that everyone seemed to be shutting her out. The mere fact that she met a terrible accident no one wanted to talk to her about, even her cousins and Gat, drove me insane. Like, what is wrong with these people? She deserves to know. I would have never understood it if I stopped reading and finding out the truth myself. It felt like I was sitting with Cadence the entire time, patiently waiting for the truth for reveal itself. And when it did, hell, I was a goner.

My bookish friends really did try to warn me about the last 50 pages. How those glorious pages will be the cause of my bleeding heart. How those fantastic pages with cut my breath short. And how those crazy pages will push my soul into oblivion. Their warnings weren't enough for me to be  prepared BECAUSE THERE IS JUST NO FREAKING WAY YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO. THE LAST 50 PAGES RUINED ME, ROBBED ME OF MY SANITY, SHOCKED ME, TORE ME APART AND COMPLETELY TOOK MY SENSE OF LIVING FOR 5 HOURS. IT WAS SO PHENOMENALLY SAD THAT I COULDN'T THINK STRAIGHT, I COULDN'T FOCUS ON ANYTHING AND LOOKING AT THE BOOK MADE ME WANT TO GRAB CADENCE AND HUG HER FOREVER. THERE IS JUST NO WAY, NO NO WAY FOR ME TO MOVE PAST THAT. THAT PART WHEN THEY LEFT. IT JUST WRECKED EVERY EMOTION I HAVE, EVEN THE TINIEST ONE BECAUSE IT WAS THAT PAINFUL. THE ENDING WAS TRULY, TRULY PAINFUL. I COULDN'T EVEN TALK ABOUT GAT WITHOUT SOBBING, LIKE SERIOUSLY. OMG.

*breathes slowly*

As I have shared on Facebook, I couldn't recommend this book enough. It isn't only mysterious but highly intriguing and it plays so good with the mind. Lockhart sure enough nailed this one, the characters are so lovely, the plot is one of a kind, the romance is ugh, to die for and that tingling sensation on each chapter gives an out of the body goosebumps. This book is surely one of the amazing novels I've read this year. And be warned: prepare for a support group. You wouldn't survive longer after you're done with this.

"Be a little kinder than you have to."
"I want to know everything, understand everything; I want to hold [him] close and run my hands over him and never let him go. But perhaps this is the only way we can start."

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...