Friday, November 21, 2014

REVIEW: CAPTIVE (THE BLACKCOAT REBELLION #2) BY AIMEE CARTER.

Title: Captive (The Blackcoat Rebellion #2)
Author: Aimee Carter
Edition: Paperback
Published: November 25, 2014
Publisher: HarlequinTeen
Pages: 304
Source: ARC provided by the publisher
Genre: Romance, Dystopia
Trailer: Not available.

Synopsis:

For the past two months, Kitty Doe's life has been a lie. Forced to impersonate the Prime Minister's niece, her frustration grows as her trust in her fake fiancé cracks, her real boyfriend is forbidden and the Blackcoats keep her in the dark more than ever.

But in the midst of discovering that her role in the Hart family may not be as coincidental as she thought, she's accused of treason and is forced to face her greatest fear: Elsewhere. A prison where no one can escape.

As one shocking revelation leads to the next, Kitty learns the hard way that she can trust no one, not even the people she thought were on her side. With her back against the wall, Kitty wants to believe she'll do whatever it takes to support the rebellion she believes in—but is she prepared to pay the ultimate price?

I finished reading Captive earlier today, around five in the morning. Up until now though (it's already three in the afternoon), I still couldn't figure out how I truly feel for this book. It wasn't a bad read but there was no excitement in me either.

I loved Pawn that I was left in awe after reading it. I wasn't expecting much from Captive but I wanted to read it as soon as possible. After that ending in Pawn, am pretty sure a lot of us wanted to know what happens next.

After Kitty accepted her new life as Lila Hart, she knew that she doesn't own her life anymore. She has to follow everything the legitimate Harts tell her to do, especially the new Prime Minister, Daxton Hart. After the failed assassination, Daxton acted as if he didn't remember anything so no one would suspect him but he let Kitty know. Kitty couldn't stand being kept in the dark and being treated as a pawn so she went on her way to prove she's something -- only to get people killed including those she truly cared about.

Captive, as opposed to Pawn, is a little more daring and packed with tension, blood and well, rebellion. The story smoothly transitioned and even have a ton of blood-curdling surprises. Honestly, the twists are somewhat predictable only if you know how these characters act. You can easily read between the lines. And what I loved dearly about it is that Carter succeeded in patching events and would still make you scream in the middle of the night. Predictable for me but I still loved how these predictions popped up in a totally surprising way.

Kitty surprised me as well. She's now braver and she's no longer afraid to get killed. And because of that, she took risks -- UTTERLY STUPID RISKS -- which cost lives. See that? Plural. LIVES. From page one up until the last chapter, SHE CONSISTENTLY DID STUPID THINGS even if she's told it would endanger people. LIKE, WHYYYYYYYY? And the worst part? She didn't stop making ridiculously stupid things even if she knows she would get her loved ones killed. She didn't care. All she cared for is to prove she is uncontrollable and she can make decisions on her own. She even revealed the Blackcoat's plan to someone she barely know just because she thought it would give the person hope. WTF, Kitty. IT WAS A REBELLION AND YOU DON'T GIVE OUT SENSITIVE INFORMATION TO OTHER PEOPLE. I cannot even express how freaking annoyed I was with her. She is unbelievably stupid, stupid, stupid.

I do not know why Carter made her that way but seriously, it wasn't fun to see her fuck everything up. But at least she did a few helpful things and found out information about who she is in the process. Consolation, I guess.

And what about Benjy? No character development? Forever underdog? When would he stand firm on his decisions? I don't like how he would just say yes to everything Kitty says without batting an eyelash. I appreciate the love he has for Kitty but he has to be tough and be a man. He's so..bland.

Thank you very much Carter for making Knox, Knox and Greyson, Greyson. They are the only characters left with rational thinking. Without these two, I would have stopped reading, I would have cried hard in a corner feeling so defeated that I couldn't like this book as much as I anticipated. But thankfully, they remained logical and didn't let emotions cloud their judgement. Thank you very much for making me trust Knox from Pawn until Captive and that trust didn't falter. I knew his heart, I guess. And that's what I adore about him. He tries so hard to keep his promises.

I wish I liked Captive just like how much I liked Pawn. I wish this action-filled sequel didn't have such stupid and stubborn female protagonist because it would have been perfect. A few mistakes can be tolerated but being consistent with it? That will never work for me. Queen, please be better.

Thank you so much HarlequinTeen for the review copy!

"Finally he closed the distance between us and kissed me -- a sweet, gentle kiss that held within it every single one of the thousand days I'd loved him as my everything, long after I'd begun to love him as a friend."
"If you had something to tie you back to your old life, would you keep it or destroy it?"
"An armory isn't always made up of guns and knives. Sometimes, information is the most powerful weapon of all."
"The only thing that really matters in the end is how we choose to live."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...