Sunday, October 26, 2014

REVIEW: PAWN (THE BLACKCOAT REBELLION #1) BY AIMEE CARTER.

Title: Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion #1)
Author: Aimee Carter
Edition: Paperback
Published: December, 2013
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Pages: 296
Source: ARC provided by the publisher
Genre: Dystopia, Romance
Trailer: Aussie Version here.

Synopsis:

For Kitty Doe, it seems like an easy choice. She can either spend her life as a III in misery, looked down upon by the higher ranks and forced to leave the people she loves, or she can become a VII and join the most powerful family in the country.

If she says yes, Kitty will be Masked—surgically transformed into Lila Hart, the Prime Minister's niece, who died under mysterious circumstances. As a member of the Hart family, she will be famous. She will be adored. And for the first time, she will matter.

There's only one catch. She must also stop the rebellion that Lila secretly fostered, the same one that got her killed …and one Kitty believes in. Faced with threats, conspiracies and a life that's not her own, she must decide which path to choose—and learn how to become more than a pawn in a twisted game she's only beginning to understand.
On her 17th birthday, Kitty Doe took the test of a lifetime. The test that would determine what she would become and what life she would lead. She ended up being a III - which was what she didn't expect. The number tattooed at the back of her neck signifies how low she is in the society. She was devastated. Her boyfriend, Benjy, knew what this meant and he wanted her to run away with him. But Kitty knew better, she wouldn't take Benjy's chance of being a VI so she decided to work in a club only a month. Benjy refused so hard but Kitty didn't have a choice. However, Kitty, earlier that day, stole an orange in the market and a Shield saw her and told her her eyes are much like Lila Hart's -- a VII -- pretty much a royalty. What she didn't know though is the tragic meaning behind the Shield's comment. She was bought my the Prime Minister from the club and was offered to be a VII or else, she dies.

I received this ARC last year (I know, I know and am sorry) but I never got around to it. I've seen mixed reviews but I read a few chapters already on my eARC and I know I would love it. And I did. I have so much love for this book. The way Carter writes captivated me in a way that I could almost quote everything in it. I find it lyrical and I love writing styles like this. I loved how she tries to make the reader weigh each situation, its as if you're the protagonist. Carter tries to make you see both sides of the coin. That made me feel so connected to it and I felt how hard each decision was, how heavy it was to be in between. Carter won in exposing realities in the story, both from the eyes of the rich and the poor. And I was totally sold.

The world building was well executed. The Ranking System isn't new to me but in Pawn, it was delivered uniquely. I loved how she elaborated the ugly parts of District of Columbia, Elsewhere and the horrible options left for the poor. Also, the idea of perfectly Masking a person was absolutely brilliant. Carter explained the scientific consequence of Masking and the fact that the color of the eyes is the hardest to mask felt so real to me. However, in relation to Masking, one plot twist at the end seriously taken me off guard that I didn't appreciate it. I mean, I knew deep in my gut that it wasn't necessary at all. The entire plot of the story was sailing smoothly until that part. I was so ready to give this book 8/5 stars but then, THAT happened. It got me so confused and suddenly, I felt betrayed. You couldn't trust anyone, anymore.

I am Team Knox. Though he's intimidating, I like him because he's brave and coward at the same time. He's selfless and selfish and he tries so hard to be a man of his word. Plus, who wouldn't like a good kisser, right? Though Benjy is perfect, he's just too good to be true. But he's perfect for Kitty because she needs someone who would love her despite of who she was and who she is and I think only Benjy could give that. I am also looking forward to seeing more of Greyson. He's such a good kid with a trusting heart. But he can't be fooled. I loved the mystery behind his character and his inventions are absolutely useful.

Pawn is a book that is sensitive, intriguing and powerful. It speaks individual empowerment that nothing should stop you from being who you are and achieving what you want. It is such a magnificent work that you would beg for Captive immediately. Truly an evocative dystopian novel, Pawn will touch your heart with strength to fight not just to make ends meet but to seek justice, safety and equality.

Thank you so much Lisa of Harlequin Teen for sending this in for review!

"But the world is out there, and it understands that the illusion of knowledge and freedom is not the same as the real thing. Eventually it will fade, and there are those who will do whatever it takes to make that happen sooner rather than later."
"The world doesn't exist because you gave it permission."

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...