Thursday, October 26, 2017

DEWEY'S READATHON REVIEW: SONGS OF OUR BREAKUP BY JAY E TRIA.


Title: Songs of Our Breakup
Author: Jay E. Tria
Series: Playlist #1
Edition: Paperback
Publication: August 22nd 2015
Source: Bought from the author
Pages: 145
Genre: New Adult, Romance

Synopsis:
Every breakup has its playlist.

How do you get over a seven-year relationship? 21-year-old Jill is trying to find out. But moving on is a harder job when Kim, her ex-boyfriend, is the lead guitarist of the band, and Jill is the vocalist. Every song they play together feels like slicing open a barely healed tattoo.

Jill’s best friend Miki says she will be out of this gloom soon. Breakups have a probation period, he says. Jill is on the last month of hers and Miki is patiently keeping her company.

But the real silver lining is Shinta. Having a hot Japanese actor friend in times like these is a welcome distraction. This gorgeous celebrity has been defying time zones and distance through the years to be there for Jill. Now he is here, physically present, and together he and Jill go through old lyrics, vivid memories, walks in the rain, and bottles of beer. Together they try to answer the question: what do you do when forever ends?

PURCHASE THE BOOK HERE:

Songs of Our Breakup is an easy 5-star read. Its unique take on tropes, superb writing style, subtle love triangle, devastating heartbreak and amazing music are elements I loved tremendously. It also right away captured me because I have a thing for singing, I used to jam and mostly have guy friends. You can easily see yourself flipping through the pages with passion because the story is that amazing. Plus, Tria did mention Mobile Suit once so SOLD!

Can we also talk about the height of the characters in this story, please? Tria and I stand tall (5'8"-ish) and I AM SUPER THRILLED TO ENCOUNTER GROUP OF FRIENDS WHO ARE ALMOST THE SAME HEIGHT BECAUSE HELL YESSSSSS THAT IS ME IN THERE, ALRIGHT?! THANK YOU, TRIA, FOR REPRESENTING US TALL PEOPLE. IT MEANS THE WORLD TO ME.

I was straight rooting for Shinta. Aside from his jaw dropping looks, I loved his values. He's thoughtful, respectful and he's the kind of guy worth waiting for. Not sure if my ship will sail but I hope it would (though I still have 2 books to read so I don't really know what's gonna happen). Miki on the other hand is the best friend you can always rely on. The love triangle was put in there in the subtlest way and to be honest, I didn't see it if it weren't for Nico and Son's convo. Yeah, I am that dense. Miki's like, a wallflower in Jill's life. He's so scared to come fight for Jill because he doesn't wanna gamble it -- he can't lose his best friend -- which is a thing I am all too familiar with. FAAAAAK!!! SO MUCH FEELSSSSS!

The breakup between Jill and Kim (seven years together!) was a nasty one. But Jill handled it professionally for the sake of their band. I WAS LIKE, GURRRRL, HOW DO YOU DO IT? When they talked and legit shook on it, it was the most painful part because how could you not hurt by officially saying goodbye to the person you literally grew up with? I wish they worked on their differences instead of separating but Kim is absolutely right at one thing, some things just don't work anymore. OUUUUUUCHHHHHH. Tria, get it together!!! You are breaking me apart!

Lastly, the songs reflect the character's emotions in such a hardcore level I cannot even explain. The depth just hits the heart. I wanna hear these songs and wallow in my misery. DAMN, SOMEONE PICK UP THE PIECES OF MY SHATTERED HEART, PLEASE.

A story of moving on and living life one day at time, Songs of Our Breakup gives another level of meaning to forever. YOU NEED THIS BOOK YESTERDAY!!!!!

"She had grown up with this boy, shared B-sides, long nights, test answers, pajamas, and shawarma with him, a collection of things and moments that changed them both...Jill still knew the face, but no longer the boy behind it."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...