Wednesday, February 14, 2018

REVIEW: THE TRAITOR'S GAME BY JENNIFER NIELSEN.

Title: The Traitor's Game
Author: Jennifer A. Nielsen
Series: The Traitor's Game #1
Edition: Paperback
Publication: February 27th 2018 by Scholastic
Source: ARC provided by the published
Pages: 400
Genre: Fantasy, Romance

Synopsis:
Nothing is as it seems in the kingdom of Antora. Kestra Dallisor has spent three years in exile in the Lava Fields, but that won't stop her from being drawn back into her father's palace politics. He's the right hand man of the cruel king, Lord Endrick, which makes Kestra a valuable bargaining chip. A group of rebels knows this all too well -- and they snatch Kestra from her carriage as she reluctantly travels home.

The kidnappers want her to retrieve the lost Olden Blade, the only object that can destroy the immortal king, but Kestra is not the obedient captive they expected. Simon, one of her kidnappers, will have his hands full as Kestra tries to foil their plot, by force, cunning, or any means necessary. As motives shift and secrets emerge, both will have to decide what -- and who -- it is they're fighting for.

Jennifer A. Nielsen introduces us to an unforgettable new heroine in this epic tale of treachery and intrigue, love and deceit.

PURCHASE THE BOOK HERE:

My first book for February 2018 is done and I am glad it's The Traitor's Game by Jennifer Nielsen. I missed fantasy so much and this book quite satisfied the need. It took me a while to finish because WHAT IS BUSY LIFE and some parts just stopped picking up the pace plus there were lines that made me a little bit uncomfortable so I needed to pause. The reading experience was pleasant but I just didn't go crazy about it.

Kestra is a Dallisor - household name and enemy to all. Her father serves the evil Lord Endrick, as if being a Dallisor isn't enough. She was in exile for three year after a group of rebels kidnapped her but her father summons her for a fixed marriage. Her carriage was ambushed and her trusted trainer Darrow was held captive. The Coracks are known to be brutal and in order to save Darrow, she has to play their games. Or will she play them?

I read Jennifer's The False Prince and absolutely loved it. Jen has this amazing spin when it comes to treachery/deception of characters so The Traitor's Game really screamed JEN. But there were just too much plot twists. It is really a good thing because the story won't let you sit properly but there were parts I started getting confused. And this also made easily predict what's really up. Unraveling the mysteries with the characters wasn't that thrilling anymore and I strongly felt I was kinda let down. The revelations/discoveries of secrets was timely in the beginning then it went haywire on the latter part.

Kestra's character was also annoying most of the time. She's such a clever and tough girl but her inner monologues were too much. There were times I can barely tolerate her. But there is definitely character arc and I bet she's going to be way better in Book 2.

Lastly, I don't understand the romance part (though I am glad there's no love triangle *knock on wood). Everything took place within four days, they hated each other, they are enemies by blood then oh so suddenly, the sexual tension was that much?? Good thing Simon's good nature complimented Kestra's. Or else, I would have DNFed this haha

Though both books kinda have the same theme,
The Traitor's Game didn't top my love for The False Prince. I wish it were smoother. Just because it's a title I would not recommend in a heartbeat, doesn't mean it isn't good. Would absolutely pick up Book 2 and hope for the best.

Thank you so so much for the galley, Scholastic Asia-Philippines!

"You are ripping at my heart, Kes. Every time I reach out and you pull back. Every time you offer a smile to someone who's not me. When you doubt me, or mistrust me, or hide your secrets away, it's like a claw that shreds me from within. When we're together, I forget how to breathe, but whne we're apart, I realize you've become my air. I want you to take a risk, but take it with me. Risk yourself with me."
"Life doesn't give us what we want. It gives us what we need and asks what we will do with it."

3 comments:

  1. Nice review! I'll admit I went through a variety of emotions with just trying to decide if I want to read this one. Still on the fence, but I'm definitely looking forward to more reviews. Sad to hear it wasn't as awesome as you would've hoped for, but glad you still enjoyed it a little! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jess! Thanks for dropping by and congrats on your 9th Blogoversary! Yeah, was kinda sad I felt this. Maybe I was expecting too much because of my love for her first series? But I still wanna read Book 2! This book has mixed reviews also on GR huhu

      Delete
  2. Although the plot seems a bit cliched, I really want to give this book a try. But I will definitely go into this book with lower expectations when I pick it up. Anyway, great review!

    - Poulami @ Daydreaming Books

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...