Thursday, November 14, 2013

REVIEW: SIEGE AND STORM BY LEIGH BARDUGO.

Title: Siege and Storm (The Grisha #2)
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Edition: Hardcover
Published: June 4, 2013
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.
Pages: 432
Source: Finished copy provided by the Publisher
Category: Romance, Fantasy
Trailer: Here.

AmazonBook DepositoryGoodreadsBarnes and NobleFully BookedNational Book Store

Synopsis:

Darkness never dies.

Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land. She finds starting new is not easy while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. She can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long.

The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling’s game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her--or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm.
Siege and Storm lived up to the hype.

God. What a beautiful sequel. Action-packed and romance-filled novel that surely surpassed all my expectations. Thank you so much Pan Macmillan Asia for sending in this wonderful book for review! Thank goodness for such a wondrous read!

Alina and Mal try to escape their life in Ravka. They are trying to run from the responsibility as a Sun Summoner and Tracker however, the Darkling is clever. He found them. This time, with the help of much powerful Grishas and new creatures from the Fold. The Darkling still haunts her for her power because together, they would reign the Fold. But Sturmhond betrays the Darkling and saves the day. He helps Alina and Mal back to Os Alta and declares himself as the Prince. Together, they will conquer the the Darkling. Little did they know, the Darkling will take them by surprise.

Siege and Storm didn't fall short when it comes to world building. From the richness of what I've seen in Shadow and Bone to the engrossing new parts of the world presented in Siege and Storm, truly I am lost for words.The True Sea, more of The Fold, Cofton and other cities they visited are all mesmerizing. Specially the map on the book. It gives so much comfort knowing you could flip the book over and glance at the stunning map. Bardugo nailed the picturesque-y approach of the world of the Grishas.

I've always been a Darkling fan. He is just so smart that he could outrun them all. He knows how to make plans that would bring him success and the mystery behind him is just so taunting. However, I missed him in the sequel. There weren't a lot of interactions with him because I assume it would all happen on the final book. I wanted to know more about him and his true name but I didn't get anything. Which is truly devastating for me. Also, at some point of the book where the bite mark on Alina's shoulder is throbbing, I felt like The Darkling is Voldemort and Alina is Harry. But in this sequel, I would like to high light Mal. He's turned into a very courageous character. Though a bit sensitive for a guy, he has the right to be. I didn't like how the power Alina possessed turns her into someone greedy, I still loved how Mal tries to balance her relationship with her. Sturmhond on the other hand, captured a piece of my heart. I don't but I just love the way he thinks and his hilarious sarcasm. I think I have a thing for hilarious sarcasm. Oh and Vasily? An idiot of a prince.

Siege and Storm holds its mystery in a compelling way. It gives the chance to imagine what will happen in Ruin and Rising and the chance to long for more. It evokes allegiance and attention. In amidst of despair, it rekindles buried passion for what the heart truly desires. Ruin and Rising, I need you.

"I have loved you all my life, Mal," I whispered through my tears. "There is no end to our story."
"When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable."
"The less you say, the more weight your words will carry."
"What is infinite? The universe and the greed of men."

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't imagine a better sequel to Shadow & bone than Siege & storm. Just epic <3 I also missed The Darkling, but I did like how intimate his scenes with Alina were. And I need more Sturmhond :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW! HAHA! I wish there was more of him but Sturmhond is hot!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...