Tuesday, September 27, 2016

REVIEW: EMPIRE OF STORMS BY SARAH MAAS.

Title: Empire of Storms
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Series: Throne of Glass #5
Edition: Hardcover
Publication: September 6th 2016 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Source: Bought from Fullybooked
Pages: whooping 704!
Genre: High Fantasy, Romance

Synopsis:
The long path to the throne has only just begun for Aelin Galathynius. Loyalties have been broken and bought, friends have been lost and gained, and those who possess magic find themselves at odds with those who don't.

As the kingdoms of Erilea fracture around her, enemies must become allies if Aelin is to keep those she loves from falling to the dark forces poised to claim her world. With war looming on all horizons, the only chance for salvation lies in a desperate quest that may mark the end of everything Aelin holds dear.

Aelin's journey from assassin to queen has entranced millions across the globe, and this fifth installment will leave fans breathless. Will Aelin succeed in keeping her world from splintering, or will it all come crashing down?

PURCHASE THE BOOK HERE:

YOU CAN'T SURVIVE THIS, YOU JUST CAN'T.

There is no way for me to review this book the format I want to because I would really want to keep the spoilers to myself so kindly buy the book and devour it right away so we can talk. I need some support group because I am still way broken and I need to get this pain off my chest. Please. Send help.

Empire of Storms - up until I think around four hundred pages in - was terribly slow. I kid you not, I was tempted to stop reading and just pick it up someday when I have the patience and time. But this is SJM so there is no reason for me to NOT read it right away. I took my time, read word per word, and finished it then I DIED. Man, SJM was born to kill us fictionally. Empire of Storms just killed me and I don't know how to return to life anymore.

The the first thing I can say about EoS is SJM surely knows how to craft romance. The blossoming romancesesses (for plurality haha because there are plenty of ships I cannot wait to sail woohooo) are developed all throughout the series and if you have read ToG until EoS, you would now what I am saying. The characters grew up and developed perfectly and they were given ample amount of time to mature which for me, prepared them for such SWOONY commitments. Some ships took my breath away while some just literally made me squeak! These OTPs didn't happen intentionally or else I would sense they were forced but they did not so I am a happy camper here! The romance didn't only target the sexy times but help build trust, confidence and individuality between the characters. (Damn, I can't even name them!! But if you have been seeing some fan arts all over social media, you would now. And if you haven't read this series, AVOID THEM for they are beautiful arts but also major spoilers.)

World building and plotting (aside from character development) are SJM's forte and I give her that. However, I just find it annoying that in Empire of Storms, shallow things happened and were revealed that practically produced catastrophic results. These things could have been avoided.
A.) Instead of resting in order for Celaena and the rest of her court to regain strength/replenish powers, they all went batshit lustful and released their body heat in the most absolute despicable incomprehensible time!! Daaaaaaam! They could have waited until the storm has calmed but they just couldn't help themselves, could they?
B.) I love the quotes about stars but what is up with stars?
C.) Have you noticed that some parts felt like ACOMAF-ish? Mind-blown.
D.) Damn you to the realm you are in to the edge of your stupid soul Elena for being too selfish! I mean what the fuck is wrong with this character, all she had to do was ask but is she fucking stoned or something because she assumed she knows things, maintained her 'all-knowing' attitude, fucked up bigtime and let someone else pay for her mistakes. THE NERVE!!! DUH IN YOUR FACE ELENA DUUUUUUH! Grrr.

Let me catch my breath.

Just one minute more.

Okay.

Anyway, the pacing picked up past four hundred pages and at this point, I tell you, you wouldn't be able to put it down anymore because things are happening so fast you can't cope! I was originally going to rate it four stars but then the ending had such impeccable impact which deserves another star. My anxiety didn't calm the fuck down until an hour after I finished reading because I was always on the lookout because gurl, I have no idea who would SJM kill! Action scenes are one page after the other so I needed to be focused because who knows, SJM might have beheaded one of my fave characters at the back of the fight for all I know! I wanted to see every little detail and gurrrrrrl I'll tell you right now, THERE IS NOTHING IN THIS WORLD THAT COULD HAVE PREPARED ME FOR WHAT SARAH MAAS DID IN THIS BOOK. NOTHING!! SO MUCH PAIN AND BLOOD AND HEARTACHE AND TEARS and respect and love - just tremendously emotional last two hundred pages and I still couldn't accept how well-thought this has been. Seriously. The feels just kept on flowing and there is no stopping it.

Empire of Storms rattled the universe.

"The world will be saved and remade by the dreamers."
"There was no force in any world that could keep her contained."
"Do not be afraid of what makes you shine brightly."
"It was all borrowed time anyway."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...