Saturday, December 31, 2016

GOODBYE, 2016!


It seems like only yesterday when I posted THIS. I couldn't believe how fast days have gone by. It was all in all a rough year for me - I developed anxiety and depression kept coming in and out. 2016 also has been nothing but a bitch when it comes to adulting and reading. I absolutely sucked this year because I lowered my Goodreads Reading Challenge from 45 books to 35. My mom was hospitalized, I got sick twice, almost quit my job, cancelled my credit card and a whole lot more of misfortunes.

But you know what, I made it out alive haha and I think that is what's more important.

This year has also been good to me in terms of blogger/blogging achievement. I was invited by Penguin Random House Internation in their Blogger Tea Party last August and the most surreal one is when I became one of the panelist for The Philippine Readers and Writers Festival 2016 (Bloggers Panel). Up until now, I still couldn't believe it happened to me. It was the ultimate blogger achievement ever and my heart just couldn't handle the gratitude and happiness. This is also the year I learned that I was mentioned in the acknowlegments of Wings, final book in one of my favorite series ever - Black City Trilogy by Elizabeth Richards! I hoarded from BookOutlet (which I won't do again), toured Nevernight and ordered my first item from Society6! I got to travel to Cebu and Bohol, purchased my dream DLSR and bought a new phone. Bujo is also now my thing, I formally started July. THIS IS ALSO THE YEAR I MET MY MOST FAVORITE AUTHOR - SARAH J. MAAS! Hold on, the most important one that happened to me this year is.. wait for ittttt! This is the year I am completely debt free! So liberating!

I just realized that by looking back, the blessings I received are far more than the misfortunes I faced and that made me absolutely grateful. These adversaries shaped me into becoming a better version of myself. I was I guess focused on all the stressful things in my life half of the time. I was blinded by the negativity and toxicity around me but I won't let that happen in 2017.


Out of the thirty nine books I read this year, eleven are all DNFs. Siiiiiiiigh. Forcing myself to read didn't work out so I had to stop and find one that I would like. It is going to be like that next year! I mean, if I couldn't connect to a story or character, then I won't force it. Anyway, here's the list of my Top 10 Reads for 2016!


Top 10 Reads for 2016
(in no particular order)

Rites of Passage is a stunning debut novel. Nothing beats a hellish set of exercise to beat a hellish secret society with hellish hot drill sergeant. It is one novel fully loaded with girl power!
Rebel of the Sands is such a thrilling debut novel you would trade sleep for! Amazingly plotted, exponentially breath-taking and one of a kind ride! Cannot wait for book 2!
This is Where it Ends is a novel that is irrevocably haunting. This novel, if anything, is composed of hope and bravery that in our darkest moments, only the truest kind of love can shine the brightest.
Rainbow Rowell meets Robyn Schneider, What Happens Now is a story full of wonderfuls. A truly unforgettable story of two broken souls molded to piece their parts together. Its heart-warming romance is crunched by depression, toughened by distance but blossomed with time. What Happens Now is truly an outstanding novel I highly recommend!

What Happens Now that this story is over?
A Court of Mist and Fury is TAUNTING, HAUNTING, AND IS SO FUCKING PAINFUL YOU WOULD WANT TO THROW IT OUT THE WINDOW. SJM MASTERED TOYING WITH MY FEELINGS AND ACOMAF LEGIT DESTROYED ME. I CANNOT ANYMORE WITH THIS LIFE
Anatomy of a Misfit is a bold and hilarious novel I would surely reread. Highly recommended for those readers who are into another level of contemporary. This book is so good you won't be able to do anything else but read it.
Tell me Three Things is such a thrilling contemporary novel. It is full of real life experiences, heart-wrenching lessons and knee-buckling romance! This book is really a feel-good, swoon-worthy novel everyone should devour!
Gemina is highly thrilling and full of abhorrent creatures that would keep you awake at night. Brilliant as ever and full of plot twists you wouldn't see coming (AKA MIND SHATTERING), Gemina proves equal to the magnificence of its predecessor. Legit hands down one of the best sci-fi series to ever hit shelves.
An Ember in the Ashes is the most brutal novel I've read this year. For fans of Red Rising and The Hunger Games, this haunting, dark and heart-wrecking novel is a must read! Buckle up for a wild ride!
Sword and Verse is honest to goodness a refreshing addition to the high-fantasy genre. I cannot stop flying through the pages because I don't want to calm my nerves anymore. I want more of that rushing adrenaline, that gripping feeling and that teeth-gritting sensation. This novel is a balance of a young romance that rooted deep with the hunger to uncover ancients secrets and surpass the call of a crown.


So 2016 gave me such amazing reads I just lacked motivation and time to read more. But this year's pick is This is How it Ends by Marieke Nijkamp! It was such a moving read I can't forget about it. I can't forget how it made me feel and I believe it has become such an important part of my bookish life. You gotta read it.


If I have hurt you indirectly, I am sorry. I didn't mean to cause pain. But thank you all for being a part of my 2016! You are part of the reason I am who I am now and I will strive to be better than before! Here's to more amazing books next year!

8 comments:

  1. So sorry you had a rough 2016 :( I hope 2017 is a lot better, and well done for surviving!
    Those are great books you read; ones I have yet to read, lol. But I'm glad you enjoyed them :)
    Happy New Year!

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, so good! 2017 is looking way better than last year! :)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful list of favorites, Kate! I haven't read any of these [shame on me LOL] but some of them are on my TBR. Hopefully I get to read them this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope 2017 will treat you a lot better! Sorry that 2016 was such a b*tch to you! :/ Is your mom better now?
    Congratulations on being debt free! (I'm guessing this has to do with college or uni?) Us in Switzerland, we don't really have the same system when it comes to college/uni funding.

    Gemina is an awesome book! I just finished it yesterday and I'm really happy for it to be my first read in the new year.
    ACOMAF and Rebel Of The Sands are both on my TBR and hopefully I'll get to them this year.

    Happy 2017! <3

    PS: I'll definitely check out This is where it ends, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only book I've read on your list was Rites of Passage and I didn't love that one. :(

    I can relate to you in so many ways, Kate (about 2016 not being a good year to you). A lot of misfortunes also happened to me last year but I gotta be strong and just hope and pray that this year will be better than 2016.

    Wishing you all the best for this year, Kate! Happy new year. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...