Tuesday, September 26, 2017

REVIEW: TOWER OF DAWN BY SARAH J MAAS.

Title: Tower of Dawn
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Series: Throne of Glass #6
Edition: Hardbound
Publication: September 5th 2017 by Bloomsbury U.S.A. Children's Books
Source: Bought from Fullybooked
Pages: 672
Genre: High Fantasy, Romance

Synopsis:
In the next installment of the New York Times bestselling Throne of Glass series, follow Chaol on his sweeping journey to a distant empire.

Chaol Westfall has always defined himself by his unwavering loyalty, his strength, and his position as the Captain of the Guard. But all of that has changed since the glass castle shattered, since his men were slaughtered, since the King of Adarlan spared him from a killing blow, but left his body broken.

His only shot at recovery lies with the legendary healers of the Torre Cesme in Antica—the stronghold of the southern continent's mighty empire. And with war looming over Dorian and Aelin back home, their survival might lie with Chaol and Nesryn convincing its rulers to ally with them.

But what they discover in Antica will change them both—and be more vital to saving Erilea than they could have imagined.

PURCHASE THE BOOK HERE:

Took me a week to finish reading Tower of Dawn because a lot of parts were too slow to the point of not moving at all. I may have skimmed some of those parts but I finally. finished. reading.

My reaction after reading that last chapter was indescribable. Pain and joy went hand in hand and I am unbelievably speechless right now, I am in awe. Sarah J. Maas has never undelivered. Tower of Dawn at first felt dragging to me but once the pace started to pick up, there had been no way for me to stop. It raised all the hairs in my body and I was at the edge of my seat, literally and figuratively.

There were debates about the cover when it was released that it didn't match the series. Well, it didn't and to be honest, I find it unimpressive at first. But hell to the yeah, the significance of it is enveloped in this story and looking at it now, I was so wrong to judge it and also super thankful I was given the chance to understand the symbol. The revelation connecting to the cover was just nerve-wracking and an absolute what-the-fuck moment.

Now that I've read this parallel installment, it isn't just a story of how Chaol is going to acquire the Khaghan's help in the war or how he is going to get healed but a story of discovery, friendship, loyalty and family. This book was called a Chaol book but it is way more than that. Here we get to see the lands beyond what we are accustomed to, their culture, their power and their people. We get to understand how important it is to reconnect with our roots and how unparalleled it is to experience - first hand - the beauty of learning beyond our differences and building relationships with that. Tower of Dawn gave me so many opportunities to rethink how vast a person's background could be and how that background could help you shape to the person you want and not want to be. There's a line in the book that says something about a soul-injury and Tower of Dawn touches that sensitive part and I could say it succeeded massively and in one way or another, helped me heal my own.

Chaol has grown into a character whose fragility got the best of him. Both physical, mental and emotional. It was so so hard to watch him break over and over and take it against those people who care for him (I wanted to throw the book out the window during one of his episodes) and at first, I couldn't understand. As he is being healed deeper and deeper, I started to see. I started to see how truly broken he was and it pains me because deep down in me I know I needed to be healed as well. Not only that, having friends who are physical therapists, Tower of Dawn is validating beyond measure.

The ups and downs of the novel would take me forever to list but I am absolutely delighted I get to meet: The ruk Kadara (I cannot wait for you to meet Abraxos), Falkan (you brave you), Hazar (a bitch but a loyal bitch), Kashin (you poor prince! I wish you were given more airtime so I'd get to know you better), Botek (an amazing woman) and Yrene Towers who stole my heart from the moment I read her name. It was all an enchanting experience and absolutely different that the other installemnts. This may be dark but not as brutal.

As always, I was in awe the moment I finished it and it may have triggered the need to re-read Empire of Storms. Also, that last chapter may have or may have not broken me.

Tower of Dawn is a beacon of light, hope, love and loyalty. It resembles with what Aelin is hoping to give her people - a better world.

"I will cherish it always.
No matter what may befall the world.
No matter the oceans, or mountains, or forests in the way."
"You must enter where you fear to tread."
"It was agony and despair and fear. It was joy and laughter and rest. It was life, all of it..."

2 comments:

  1. Nice! I can't wait to read it! I'm thrilled that you enjoyed this one. Kinda can't wait to read Chaol's story even though I started hating him earlier. He became tolerable in the last book. Great review!
    Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMGosh! He's such a bitch in this book hahah!

      Thank you for dropping by, Rebecca! Followed via BL!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...