Monday, October 1, 2012

REVIEW: PARANORMALCY BY KIERSTEN WHITE.

Title: Paranormalcy
Author: Kiersten White
Series: Paranormalcy #1
Edition: Paperback
Publication: January 1st 2010 by HarperTeen
Source: Bought from FullyBooked
Pages: 368
Category: Romance, Urban Fantasy, Paranormal

Synopsis:

Evie's always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she's falling for a shape-shifter, and she's the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours.

But Evie's about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal.

PURCHASE THE BOOK HERE:

When book bloggers/bookworms were actually raving about this series when Endlessly was released several months back, I thought I'd give it a shot. I was skeptical about getting it t first just because my brain had too many paranormal reads but now I just couldn't believe how bleeping cool this book is! My day was kind of gloomy and I know I needed a boost, after finishing it yesterday I felt totally elated.

Evie is adopted and employed by International Paranormal Containment Agency or IPCA to bring in those vampires, werewolves, nymphs, hogs, or faeries who causes havoc to be "neutered". She's a sixteen year old pink, make-up and TV series junky who sees through paranormal glamours with a mermaid best friend and a hot faery ex. She learned to appreciate what life the agency has been giving her but being a teenager that she is, she still wonders how to live a normal high school live. Just when she starts to accept that she won't ever be a normal teen, a gorgeous shape-shifter named Lend, breaks in to the agency which coincides with massive paranormal deaths. Everything around her changes as they try to stop the killing and she has no idea that the normal life she wanted would present itself to her, only in the expense of her loved ones.

Paranormalcy's concept reflects a little of Hell Boy movie. Top-secret agency and mission, only in the book, they "neuter" paranormals and not kill. I really loved the plot, the world building, the characters and these fresh supernatural powers Kiersten White had bestowed upon her characters. Evie is definitely funny, girly, spunky and though a bit shallow, her character is lovely. One could totally relate to her especially on the "pink" and "lonely" parts. Lend is also phenomenal and I like the idea that your imagination really works when it comes to his features and that he's such a good child. Lish the mermaid best friend is one of my favorites and its also very challenging to picture her because she's not the typical mermaid I know. Reth the ex on the other side, however handsome he could be, still annoyed me and White did such an awesome job with his character too.

The plot and world building aren't complicated. Not even the "fight with the villain" part. There are some parts I couldn't help shed a tear but overall, the story is such a light and bubbly read which made my mind rest from all those dark paranormal books I've read in the past. The only thing that is complex about this series, I think, is Evie's past and her association with faeries and believe it or not, it makes me want to go get books two and three just to be over with it! Lucky me, I don't have to wait years for the books!

If you haven't read this one, don't waste your time. Go and read it, make yourself laugh, you deserve it!

"Tasers are a one-size-fits-all paranormal butt-kicking option. Mine’s pink with rhinestones."

4 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...