Thursday, March 24, 2016

REVIEW: ME BEFORE YOU BY JOJO MOYES.

Title: Me Before You
Author: Jojo Moyes
Series: Me Before You #1
Edition: Paperback
Publication: December 31st 2012 by Pamela Dorman Books/Viking
Source: Bought from National Bookstore MOA
Pages: 369
Genre: Adult, Romance, Contemporary

Synopsis:

Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.

What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.

Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.

What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time.

PURCHASE THE BOOK HERE:
ISBN: 9780670026609


Took a while for me to get a hold of my own copy of Me Before You because it was practically sold out locally. I couldn't watch the trailer (SAM CLAFLIN!!!!!!) because I want to read the book first. Well, I've been meaning to really read this one but I thought that it was too expensive for a paperback so I just kept stalling and stalling. But this issue was fixed two nights ago when I finished reading Me Before You.

Lovely people from social media only said one thing about this book that I know nothing about: THIS IS A TEARJERKER STORY. I am all ready for tears to leave my eyes any time and all yes to books that require tissues but to be honest, this one didn't make me bawl as much as I expected I would. Though there were scenes on the book that made my throat constrict, my jaw twitch, my eyes slightly damp and my heart ache so freaking much, but no hard core bawling happened. Sorry, guys. I am absolutely sorry. Maybe because I expected too much and I kept waiting and waiting for the things that people said would make me cry but up until the last forty pages, there were still no tsunami tears.

I loved Me Before You in three different aspects:
a) Unique plot
b) Louissa's character development
c) Will's determination

a) You probably know why, right? I don't normally encounter Quadriplegia in books so having Me Before You as my first is quite invigorating. It made me more sensitive when it comes to quadriplegic needs. Like. now? when I walk, I check if there are ramps available or where would they cross if there aren't and all that. I've also become much aware of what a quadriplegic goes through. I mean, I may not understand hundred percent, but this book exposed me to a much larger scale of sensitivity when it comes to disability.

b) I felt like I grew up with Lou. I felt like I was there beside her the entire time that I legit felt how she's feeling. I saw bits and pieces of myself in her and I just adored how kind she is even if people are mean to her. She wasn't afraid to say what she feels. Her development was slow just as what the story needed! There were times she has to be told what to do which irked me but she did well at the end. I love how simple she in as a person but bold with fashion.

c) Okay. Will was a little unlikable. I tried to and I did a little at the end. Even though he was rude all the time, I was able to fully understand his attitude. I saw how much he is hurting (physically, emotionally, mentally) and all of his decisions are fair in my opinion. It was his body, life and take after all. That no matter how hard people convince him to fight, his situation is just so unbearable. I wish I had known him before the accident and seen how big his life was before the wheelchair. I was so sorry for him and for people who've met such terrible accident. I mean, I wouldn't know what I'd do if I were him. I just cannot. His determination though was incredible and that determination is full of love, understanding and compassion. *okay my eyes are watering* There was just this miserable feeling in my heart that made me totally understand what he had done. I do not condone it, but I understand. And what he did for Lou? *am drying my eyes okay*

Me Before You is truly a heart-wrenching novel. Combined with wit, the pain that bled through each page is worth so much more than I could handle. An inspiring read that would surely gut your feels.


"Some mistakes... Just have greater consequences than others. But you don't have to let the result of one mistake be the thing that defines you. You, Clark, have the choice not to let that happen."
"I will never, ever regret the things I've done. Because most days, all you have are places in your memory that you can go to."
"Live boldly. Push yourself. Don't settle. Just live well. Just live."
"Sometimes , Clark, you are pretty much the only thing that makes me want to get up in the morning."
"You're going to feel uncomfortable in your new world for a bit. It always does feel strange to be knocked out of your comfort zone."

6 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this, it sounds so heart-wrenching and beautiful!! Wonderful review xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sooo want to read this. XD And is it bad to admit I had no intentions of reading it until I saw the trailer?! And then those are some of my favourite actors so I was just totally "YES I NEED TO READ IT". XD HEHEHE. But I never cry in books so that's another reason I want to try it...see if it makes me sob. ;D I'm glad you loved it so much!!
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you loved it. I can't wait to read this for myself. Loved your review!

    - Poulami @ Daydreaming Books

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...