Tuesday, March 8, 2016

MEETING THE AUTHOR: VICTORIA AVEYARD IN MANILA 2016.


Where do I begin? Been writing recaps for the past couple of years and this is the point where I kind of get tired recapping shit. I mean, its just the same old thing. Only difference is the author. This is just probably the pressured me -- too tired to transcribe shit so pardon things you would read here. We've been bashed over and over online these past several weeks and I know it is gonna be crazy next week but hell I am dead tired of that shit as well. Just so damn tired being judged and criticized. Blah blah blah let me get coffee

*Two hours later*

What makes this recap different from all other recaps I've written? The intro for one. And I seriously don't know. OH OH! The turn out of this event! That is what makes this different. Okay, am getting the groove now. Let's start for real.


Early morning around 9, I arrived at the forum event and waited for my lovely blogger friends to arrive. Powerbooks let us wait outside the store for about thirty minutes and we've exchanged stories while we waited to be allowed to go in. We've registered, picked seats (I usually stand or sit on the carpet), took pictures and chit-chatted about our endless love/hate relationship with books. That's always gonna be one of the highlights of every event: I get to share my bookish thoughts and feels with my bookish people. And then VA arrived with Molly of HarperCollins (whom I didn't have a photo with).

Hardest Selfie #13 with Jesselle, Lyra and Louisse!
Unfortunately, I forgot (OF ALL THINGS IMPORTANT) to bring my glasses and I usually stand at the back of the event so I was unable to really see VA that clearly. I was forcing my eyes to macro focus but it maybe hard to accept, my eyesight is blurry now. So I was just listening to the Q and A while recording it. The Q and A guys didn't just focus on writing tips but I noticed that they were deeper this time. Most questions where about how did she write certain scenes, what parts of the story were the hardest to write, which she prefer - most screen writing or novel writing, why the series was extended to four books (because it was what the story needed) and all that. She was certainly chatty and I loved how much info she gave us with each question.


And here comes the signing part. When I was in front of her (remember when I said I didn't bring my glasses I couldn't see her clearly?), I was SOOOO starstuck right there. I wasn't able to take photos, I just stood there staring at her and then Kate be like: DID YOU LIKE OUR MANGOES?! I was like, WTF is wrong with me man, like that's so ridiculous I wanted to punch myself in the face! I mean, of all things I could ask Victoria Aveyard it was the poor mango thing I thought of. Siiiigh. Anyway, guys, she is stunning. Like, If Madeleine Roux is badass sexy, Victoria Aveyard has the Latina sexy vibe.

VA with the Bloggers!
After the signing, I went to the public signing. I stayed at the verrrrrryy back to film the screaming (audio was terrible but the vid is up on my IG) and waited until VA entered the store! The line was insane! And when I say insane, it was absolutely insane-insane! No one, I think not even National Bookstore anticipated the VA fever here in Manila. The line was cutoff when they reached the ONE THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED mark! Should NBS had known that this signing will turn out like this, they would have booked Activity Center. Wow. I am just a semi-fan (I DNF-ed Red Queen twice) but I was floored by how much Filipino readers love VA. Amazing number! It was truly an amazing and wow-ing kind of an event turn out!


Victoria's message to Filipino fans!




My signed goodies!
LOOK AT HER FACE, PEOPLE! SHE IS SOLID PRETTY

THANK YOU NATIONAL BOOKSTORE FOR EVERYTHING YOU DO FOR READERS IN THE PHILIPPINES DESPITE THE PRESSURE. KEEP IMPROVING AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! CONGRATULATIONS FOR THE SUCCESS OF THIS EVENT!

8 comments:

  1. Lovely recap, Kate! VA is really beautiful, I was only able to say "Hi" because she's really exhausted but manages to stay pretty. The fans are really wild and I'm just watching via their phone screens (still useless because I forgot my glasses as well). haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just stunned there and thought of mangoes the whole time. I was so pathetic! HAHA!

      Delete
  2. Wow, so jealous you got to meet her! Why doesn't any author come to Switzerland? *cries*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to let your local bookstore to invite them! :)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, but I don't think that any authors come to Switzerland, not popular American / British ones. I've never seen any other authors than German ones here :(

      Delete
    3. Awww. We have Simon & Schuster, Scholastic and Hachette here locally but I dunno how the our bookstore invites authors from other publishers. Maybe they invite the ones with rights sold in Asia? Hope they get to visit there!

      Delete
    4. I love Scholastic! Their covers are so nice!
      That's a possibility. But I don't know

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...