Friday, March 18, 2016

REVIEW: REBEL OF THE SANDS BY ALWYN HAMILTON.

Title: Rebel of the Sands
Author: Alwyn Hamilton
Series: Rebel of the Sands #1
Edition: Paperback
Publication: March 8, 2016 by Viking Books for Young Readers
Source: ARC provided by the publisher
Pages: 320
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance, Arabic Culture-inspired

Synopsis:

She’s more gunpowder than girl—and the fate of the desert lies in her hands.

Mortals rule the desert nation of Miraji, but mystical beasts still roam the wild and barren wastes, and rumor has it that somewhere, djinni still practice their magic. But there's nothing mystical or magical about Dustwalk, the dead-end town that Amani can't wait to escape from.

Destined to wind up "wed or dead," Amani’s counting on her sharpshooting skills to get her out of Dustwalk. When she meets Jin, a mysterious and devastatingly handsome foreigner, in a shooting contest, she figures he’s the perfect escape route. But in all her years spent dreaming of leaving home, she never imagined she'd gallop away on a mythical horse, fleeing the murderous Sultan's army, with a fugitive who's wanted for treason. And she'd never have predicted she'd fall in love with him...or that he'd help her unlock the powerful truth of who she really is.

PURCHASE THE BOOK HERE:
ISBN: 9780698410428


Damn it. This book totally rocks!

Rebel of the Sands is an original story that didn't disappoint. I was afraid that I might not enjoy it because there are a lot of possible elements I might not be able to wrap my mind into. I was afraid it would let me down. But hell no, Rebel of the Sands is a thief - it steals your ability to put the book down because everything you'd like in your high-fantasy novel is in it and them some more.

God, I've been wishing for a high-fantasy novel that is outside the norm. I wanted a story that would tour me not only around the world I know, but a world outside what YA had offered. This YA book is the first one that granted my wish. It gave me so much more than what I had hoped for and that I absolutely loved. I loved the Middle Eastern inspiration, all the mythical creatures, the magic and the romance/character developments. I most specifically adored the world building! It makes me want to lay on the sand and will it to do my bidding! (I will will it to let me sand surf!) It was such a well-written story that grasp so much of my heart. I want more. I need more.

Rebel of the Sands is such a thrilling debut novel you would trade sleep for! Amazingly plotted, exponentially breath-taking and one of a kind ride! Cannot wait for book 2!

Thank you so much Penguin Random for sending this beautiful ARC for review!

"The world makes things for each place. Fish for the sea, Rocs for the mountain skies, and girls with sun in their skin and perfect aim for a desert that doesn't let weakness live."

4 comments:

  1. It's so great to hear that you liked this one! I'm glad to hear that it's original and not just another stand of the mill fantasy. I just got in on Sunday and luckily was able to get it signed. It was such a great experience. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait to read this book! It sounds absolutely amazing. Loved your review.

    - Poulami @ Daydreaming Books

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...