Friday, March 11, 2016

REVIEW: THE LIES ABOUT TRUTH BY COURTNEY STEVENS.

Title: The Lies About Truth
Author: Courtney C. Stevens
Series: Standalone
Edition: Paperback
Publication: November 3, 2015 by HarperTeen
Source: ARC provided by the publisher
Pages: 326
Genre: Young adult, Romance, Contemporary

Synopsis:

Sadie Kingston, is a girl living in the aftermath. A year after surviving a car accident that killed her friend Trent and left her body and face scarred, she can’t move forward. The only person who seems to understand her is Trent’s brother, Max.

As Sadie begins to fall for Max, she's unsure if she is truly healed enough to be with him — even if Max is able to look at her scars and not shy away. But when the truth about the accident and subsequent events comes to light, Sadie has to decide if she can embrace the future or if she'll always be trapped in the past.

PURCHASE THE BOOK HERE:

This is one the shortest reviews I will write on the blog because this book just didn't work for me at all. But before you squeal and ask "WHYYYYYY", let me tell you this:

It is not the book, IT IS ME.

Why me? The story is good alright. I believe it was well-written and well-executed. However, I was *I think* never been in this position thus, there is absolutely no connection at all. I want my contemporaries striking. I almost DNF-ed it because I could not find it in my heart to sympathize with the characters and it was so hard to relate to it. It might be unfair that I am rating this book 2 stars, but this rating is the truest I could give. Last week when I checked GR, there was no 2-star rating and mine was I believe the first. It feels terrible that I am the first black sheep here but I want to be honest about how this made me feel. The entirety of the story is something forgettable, unappealing and I wasn't touched by it. Even if I try to see from the character's perspective, my bookish lifeline was just not fluctuating.

I would still recommend The Lies About Truth in a heartbeat. I loved Faking Normal so much that it made me sad I didn't click with this one. As I have said, this is all me, it just wasn't for me.

Thank you HarperCollins International for the ARC!


"From what I could tell, happiness was getting stuck with someone and never feeling stuck."
"A kiss can be a kiss or it can be an event."
"Maybe forgiving Gina and Gray wasn't letting go of what they've done or dulling it down. Maybe forgiveness was giving the past less power to hurt me. Or even building new memories that were stronger than the painful ones."

2 comments:

  1. Awww, I'm so sorry this one didn't work for you. I felt the same about it... it just didn't live up to Faking Normal. I think I was expecting so much more after adoring Faking Normal, and it just kind of didn't hit that mark. I did really like it though, but I can honestly understand where you're coming from.

    I can't get over how pretty your design is! I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just didn't click. :(

      Thank you so much, Lisa! It means the world to me!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...