Thursday, May 26, 2016

DNF REVIEW: THE STAR-TOUCHED QUEEN BY ROSHANI CHOKSHI.

Title: The Star-Touched Queen
Author: Roshani Chokshi
Series: Standalone
Edition: Kindle
Publication: April 26, 2016 by St. Martin's Griffin
Source: eARC provided by the publisher
Pages: 352
Genre: High-Fantasy, Romance

Synopsis:

Fate and fortune. Power and passion. What does it take to be the queen of a kingdom when you're only seventeen?

Maya is cursed. With a horoscope that promises a marriage of Death and Destruction, she has earned only the scorn and fear of her father's kingdom. Content to follow more scholarly pursuits, her whole world is torn apart when her father, the Raja, arranges a wedding of political convenience to quell outside rebellions. Soon Maya becomes the queen of Akaran and wife of Amar. Neither roles are what she expected: As Akaran's queen, she finds her voice and power. As Amar's wife, she finds something else entirely: Compassion. Protection. Desire...

But Akaran has its own secrets -- thousands of locked doors, gardens of glass, and a tree that bears memories instead of fruit. Soon, Maya suspects her life is in danger. Yet who, besides her husband, can she trust? With the fate of the human and Otherworldly realms hanging in the balance, Maya must unravel an ancient mystery that spans reincarnated lives to save those she loves the most. . .including herself.

A lush and vivid story that is steeped in Indian folklore and mythology. The Star-Touched Queen is a novel that no reader will soon forget.
PURCHASE THE BOOK HERE:
Marked as Did Not Finish at eighty percent.

I know, right? I only have twenty percent left so why not push through it? Believe me, I tried. For weeks. I kept giving myself one more push to finish reading this but I. Just. Cannot. Anymore. I don't want to punish myself, there's just nothing in this story that makes me stay.

I was so excited when I was sent an eARC of this one because The Star-Touched Queen is one of my most sought titles this year. However, I was already gagging at page five. I thoroughly enjoyed the Mythology aspect of The Star-Touched Queen but the writing style just didn't work for me. It was all too freaking (borrowing Nushrika's term) flowery and it honestly felt so pretentious to me.
"I want to lie beside you and know the weight of your dreams," he said, brushing his lips against my knuckles. "I want to share whole worlds with you and write your name in the stars." He moved closed and a chorus of songbirds twittered silver melodies. "I want to measure eternity with your laughter."
"The woman whom Amar had looked at, as though she held the universe in her gaze, as if galaxies lined her smile, as though she were myths and love and song contained in one body."
CAN YOU LIKE, STOP RIGHT THERE? Gaaaad. I just can't with the writing style. Ninety-five percent of the time, this is the reason why I just couldn't go through this. Maybe this lyrical kind of writing would work best for a contemporary novel than fantasy? I mean, it could still work but not this heavy? I tried but there is just no way I can fake that I enjoyed it. Don't even let me talk about the crappy insta-romance because ugh no, I can't.

What I also hate about the book is the part where our Queen was tricked by Nritti. And when I say tricked, she was tricked THAT easily! Oh gods of bookish universe, why do we have to suffer for the stupidity of our heroines?

The mythology part of it though is one thing I absolutely enjoyed. It was the highlight of this story and I want to immerse myself in it. It was rich, colorful and intriguing. I have Indian friends and let me tell you this, their culture (and food) is amazing! Oh, and Kamala is the best horse ever!

The Star-Touched Queen didn't capture my taste at all. I wish there were more to it than just fancy wordings. I would have loved the concept it if was kept simple but striking.

Thank you so much St. Martin's Griffin for the electronic ARC!


"I loved the feeling of discovery, of not knowing how much I wanted something until I had discovered its absence."
"There is no romance in real grief. Only longing and fury."

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear you didn't like this one. I keep hearing mixed things about this, and I'm interested to see where I fall into the mix.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...