Wednesday, May 10, 2017

REVIEW: DON'T TELL MY MOTHER BY BRIGITTE BAUTISTA.

Title: Don't Tell My Mother
Author: Brigitte Bautista
Series: Standalone
Edition: Paperback
Publication: April 23rd 2017 by Spark Books
Source: Bought from National Bookstore
Pages: 94
Genre: Romance, New Adult, LGBTQIA+, F/F

Synopsis:
With an overly zealous mother as her guide, 19-year-old Sam has never had problems navigating through Christian suburbia before. But, all that changes when she befriends and becomes intrigued with Clara, her widowed neighbor and the village’s social outcast. When their friendship grows into the “unnatural”, Sam is forced to examine her upbringing and come to terms with who she really is.

PURCHASE THE BOOK HERE:

Don't Tell My Mother is an exquisite story about a girl coming to terms with her sexuality. It was a rough road Ava had to go through but that didn't stop her from being true to herself. Growing up in an all girl's catholic school and being in a hardcore self-righteous "christian" community, Ava fought hard and endured so much just to be with her first love, Carla. It wasn't the "boy+girl" relationship so her surroundings made it too difficult for her. But you see? LOVE FUCKING WINS.

I was a first hand witness to these kinds of homophobic/self-righteous people. It was and is sickening. God did tell us to love one another but these people are just so extremely close-minded and selfish I couldn't help but feel this fiery rage that they have to be so stupid like that. But I gotta respect people and be gentle in making them realize how wrong they perceive my LGBTQIA+ friends. I wasn't around anymore to know if they'd eventually come to their senses but my friends are happy and that's what matters to me most.

The writing for Don't Tell My Mother is superb but also slow. I hate slow-paced stories in general but this book felt like it needed the slowness. It has to have time to develop and I could say I am satisfied with how events turned out and how it ended. The backstory of Ava's dad gave the entirety of it all a huge and strong kick and I loved how heart-wrenching it was. I wish though that Ava kept in touch with her dad. I just feel like it would mean the world to him if she did.

I also wish that some goodness in the Christian Community could have graced the pages, even just a little bit. To balance it out.

Don't Tell My Mother is a journey to acceptance and self-love. It is another story that champions how love wins. It feels heavy in the heart but surely puts bright lights in the mind.

"I mean, what do you do when you don't have to be you?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...