Sunday, May 21, 2017

REVIEW: THE UPSIDE OF UNREQUITED BY BECKY ALBERTALLI.

Title: The Upside of Unrequited
Author: Becky Albertalli
Series: Standalone
Edition: Kindle
Publication: April 11th 2017 by Balzer & Bray
Source: eARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss
Pages: 336
Genre: Realistic Fiction, Romance, YA, F/F, Contemporary

Synopsis:
Seventeen-year-old Molly Peskin-Suso knows all about unrequited love—she’s lived through it twenty-six times. She crushes hard and crushes often, but always in secret. Because no matter how many times her twin sister, Cassie, tells her to woman up, Molly can’t stomach the idea of rejection. So she’s careful. Fat girls always have to be careful.

Then a cute new girl enters Cassie’s orbit, and for the first time ever, Molly’s cynical twin is a lovesick mess. Meanwhile, Molly’s totally not dying of loneliness—except for the part where she is. Luckily, Cassie’s new girlfriend comes with a cute hipster-boy sidekick. Will is funny and flirtatious and just might be perfect crush material. Maybe more than crush material. And if Molly can win him over, she’ll get her first kiss and she’ll get her twin back.

There’s only one problem: Molly’s coworker Reid. He’s an awkward Tolkien superfan with a season pass to the Ren Faire, and there’s absolutely no way Molly could fall for him. Right?

PURCHASE THE BOOK HERE:

The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli proves that she deserves to be in everyone's Auto-Buy Authors Lists. Simon VS set the bar quite high for me and it took a while before I joined the the fandom and it was an amazing book! I should have read it sooner!

This one filled me with extreme emotions. It resurrected my old feelings and made me love Molly so much. I was thin in high school (AND fat now) but Molly is so easy to relate to! Her voice is the kindest I've ever read and I loved it so much that she tries to think good of others all the time. Molly have also encapsulated her flaws in a way that people would be able to see themselves in and for me, Becky just represented fat people in a flawless way and I couldn't ask for anything more because Molly (I LOVE THIS GIRL), Becky (AND THIS GIRL) and Upside (AND THIS BOOK) have all star qualites.

Let's not forget the different types of love in this book! I have encountered M/M parents before and I think this is the first one I read F/F parents and OMG THEY ARE FABULOUS! Not only because they are F/F but because #lovewins (fuck yeah!) and Becky just gave us the perfect family! Thank you, Becky. Thank you for making the Upside world such a better place and I wanna live in it. Also, thank you for Reid's family, their circle of friends who are all equally brilliant and OMG for Cassie and Reid! Can I ask them to adopt me? PLEASE, BECKY?

Fat rep? Check.
Family dynamics? Check.
LGBTQPIA+? Check.
Mental Illness rep? Check.
So many other important things like self-worth? Check.
Fluffy romance? Cheeeeeeeeeeck.
Did I miss anything? Check. LOL


The Upside of Unrequited is a book worth picking-up and re-reading just right after. It's THE book you will easily definitely identify with and it has all the kind of feels you are thirsty for!

Thank you HarperCollins and Edelweiss for the eARC!

"ven if he likes me, I’m not sure he’d like me naked. I hate that I’m even thinking that. I hate hating my body. Actually, I don’t even hate my body. I just worry everyone else might. Because chubby girls don’t get boyfriends, and they definitely don’t have sex. Not in movies—not really—unless it’s supposed to be a joke. And I don’t want to be a joke."
"Something like that. But you know, there's an upside here. Because when you spend so much time just intensely wanting something, and then you actually get the thing? It's magic.” All of a sudden, I feel like crying. In a good way. In the best way. Because I know exactly what she means. It's butterflies and haziness and heart eyes, but underneath all that, there's this bass line of I can't believe this. I can't believe this is me. I can't quite articulate the sweetness of that feeling. It's finding out the door you were banging on is finally unlocked. Maybe it was unlocked the whole time."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...