Monday, December 31, 2012

REVIEW: BEAUTIFUL DARKNESS BY MARGARET STOHL AND KAMI GARCIA.

Title: Beautiful Darkness
Authors: Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
Series: Caster Chronicles #2
Edition: Paperback
Publication: October 12th 2010 by Little, Brown and Company
Source: Bought from FullyBooked
Pages: 503 pages
Genre: Paranormal, Romance, Urban Fantasy

Synopsis:

Ethan Wate used to think of Gatlin, the small Southern town he had always called home, as a place where nothing ever changed. Then he met mysterious newcomer Lena Duchannes, who revealed a secret world that had been hidden in plain sight all along. A Gatlin that harbored ancient secrets beneath its moss-covered oaks and cracked sidewalks. A Gatlin where a curse has marked Lena's family of powerful Supernaturals for generations. A Gatlin where impossible, magical, life-altering events happen.

Sometimes life-ending.

Together Ethan and Lena can face anything Gatlin throws at them, but after suffering a tragic loss, Lena starts to pull away, keeping secrets that test their relationship. And now that Ethan's eyes have been opened to the darker side of Gatlin, there's no going back. Haunted by strange visions only he can see, Ethan is pulled deeper into his town's tangled history and finds himself caught up in the dangerous network of underground passageways endlessly crisscrossing the South, where nothing is as it seems.

PURCHASE THE BOOK HERE:

*MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS*

I am so happy that I am posting my review this early for the reading challenge. Good thing as well that it is on my reading schedule for the week. And honestly, this sequel took me by surprise.

After Lena's sixteenth birthday, Ethan could no longer deny that something has changed. Something is terribly off not only with Gatlin or the Ravenwood Manor but Lena as a whole. Lena seems to be too far from his reach and he thinks he's losing her. She's been acting like a Dark Caster. Ethan has been seeing visions again and he has to find out why Lena is acting weird and who is the guys he's with.. Who is John Breed in Lena's life and is Ethan really ready to let her go.

Beautiful Darkness is the sequel to Beautiful Creatures I reviewed last month. I was kind of disappointed with the first book but this one swayed my feet off the ground. I almost hated it then eventually fully loved it. The first two hundred pages, it just keeps dragging on and on and nothing really happens. I was starting to be afraid for it might bore me to the extend of not finishing it altogether. But thankfully, the last three hundred pages redeemed itself from a DNF.

I almost hated it because of Lena. Her character here didn't not progress at all but in fact, she's at her worse here. She still couldn't decide whether to be Dark of Light and for goodness' sake, she let go of Ethan to be with someone she barely even know. If it wasn't for Ethan's eagerness to save her, she's done. I almost hated it because of Ethan. Well, just a little. There are some moments when he doesn't know when to stop which surprisingly, his stubbornness lead them to unveiling deep secrets and it saved lives. And then I pitied Ethan. A lot. The revelations and challenges he faced in the novel are all mind-blowing and painful that I even experienced a little shortness of breath. I loved how Liv and Link have a major part in finding the answers to Ethan's misery and again, at some point, it reminded me of Harry, Ron and Hermione.

Beautiful Darkness is a sequel that is full of answers. All of the questions Beautiful Creatures left me were explained pretty well. Though new characters were added, the initial approach for the old characters developed in a way that made the second novel better than the first. My original rating for this book was just three or four stars but it erratically changed after I read it! The twists and surprises were so heart warming and heart breaking at the same time that I almost couldn't put the book down.

It is a riveting novel that requires a lot of patience. It rewarded me with so much happiness that I couldn't wait to read Beautiful Chaos and I am really looking forward to another fantastic, hair raising and heart breaking read!

"We don't get to chose what is true. We only get to choose what we do about it."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...