Wednesday, July 19, 2017

REVIEW: P.S. I STILL LOVE YOU BY JENNY HAN.

Title: P.S. I Still Love You
Author: Jenny Han
Series: To All the Boys I've Loved Before #2
Edition: Hardbound
Publication: May 26, 2015 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Source: Bought from Book Outlet
Pages: 337
Genre: Contemporary, Romance, Realistic Fiction

Synopsis:
Lara Jean didn’t expect to really fall for Peter.
She and Peter were just pretending. Except suddenly they weren’t. Now Lara Jean is more confused than ever.
When another boy from her past returns to her life, Lara Jean’s feelings for him return too. Can a girl be in love with two boys at once?

In this charming and heartfelt sequel to the New York Times bestseller To All the Boys I've Loved Before, we see first love through the eyes of the unforgettable Lara Jean. Love is never easy, but maybe that’s part of what makes it so amazing.

PURCHASE THE BOOK HERE:

The first time I read To All the Boys I've Loved Before was back in 2014 and it was an underwhelming read to me. I was all hyped up about the book but then I didn't get anything from it. It was such a bummer I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to. Fast forward to 2017 and after re-reading it in prep for books 2 and 3, I was like, OMGGG?? WHAT WAS I THINKING BACK THEN?? WHY AM I JUST NOTICING PETER K NOWWWW? I LOVED IT SO SO MUCH?? The experience this time was absolutely different I still feel my heart go wild whenever think about this book! Like, I couldn't believe my review back then. PETER K LEGIT CAPTURED MY HEART AND GOD DAMN IT, I AM SO EXTREMELY JOYFUL TO HAVE MET LARA JEAN AND PETER K THE SECOND TIME AROUND!

I have so many feelings and thoughts about PS I Still Love You I can't map them all out properly. Just like TATBILB did to me, I am a huge mess right now. THIS BOOK IS PERFECTION. A quick read but packed with everything I needed in a story. It's just amazing to see how much a book can do damage to your well-being (in a good bookish way).

PSISLY isn't what I can put in the Middle Book Syndrome List. It's one of the best sophomore books I've read in a while and it just makes me so happy that I loved it. The amount of awww, oh, and OMG expressions I've uttered while reading blew me away because this one is THAT good. But there are just some points I didn't understand (but didn't make me love this any less)

- How can Peter let Gen manipulate him?
- How can he let her get away with everything when he says he is over her?
- How can he put Lara Jean in a position where she feels she's just his option? (LIKE, REALLY, PETER K?)
- How can Lara Jean not trust her get and still believes nothing is going on between Peter and Geb when she saw it with her own eyes? (COME ON)
- How did Gen become the victim?
- How can Gen's manipulative and abusive behaviour not discussed and given attention to? Nothing she did is okay.

Even though I didn't get much of Peter K in this book, I appreciated Lara Jean's development here. She's not that naive anymore and she's a much better sister to Kitty in this book. Her relationship with her family is one aspect I am thrilled about and I'm absolutely happy to have been given plenty of that. I still adore Kitty so much for being a child and an adult all at the same time! You get me? She is so fierce and she made everything happen!

Jenny Han wrote the love triangle in a quirky way. I was so against it being the center of the story, I couldn't help but feel angsty towards Peter K. I do love him its just that his actions are ridiculous to me (regarding Gen). Lara Jean did put up a fight and to be honest, she made the right choice BECAUSE THAT IS THE CHOICE I WANT HAHA

P.S. Still Love You made me fall in love with Peter K harder (and Lara Jean). This story keeps making me squeal and I still have butterflies while writing my review! It is absolutely the perfect follow-up installment and man, I wish I read it sooner!

*I call this sophomore book because I read it long after Always and Forever, Lara Jean was released. This was supposed to be a duology.*

"I know now that I don’t want to love or be loved in half measures. I want it all, and to have it all, you have to risk it all."
"People come in and out of your life. For a time they are your world; they are everything. And then one day they’re not. There’s no telling how long you will have them near."
"You have to let yourself be fully present in every moment. Just be awake for it, do you know what I mean? Go all in and wring every last drop out of the experience."
"It doesn't become important until you don't have it anymore."

12 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you loved this!! I absolutely love this trilogy. I think what makes PSISLY a really good sophomore novel is because it was written in mind with the series to be a duology, and not a trilogy. That way the second book isn't just used as a bridge to the third. Peter K is such a DREAMBOAT <3 I just love him. But the whole situation with Gen was such a nightmare. I hope you love the third book just as much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see that you enjoyed the duology (that surprisingly turned into a trilogy, I still don't know how I feel about that). I absolutely LOVED the books and every time I re-read them I feel the same and enjoy it just as much as the first time around.

    I'm currently reading the third book in the series and I don't know yet what to think. So far I'm enjoying it, but it's still unclear what turn it will take. I hope Peter K and Lara Jean's relationship won't be messed up after this :0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't take it against you if you won't love Always as much. I'd totally understand why.

      Delete
    2. Oh god :0 now I'm scared :p I haven't managed to finish it yet :/

      Delete
    3. I'm done. And. it. was. so good!! :D
      I'm so glad it turned out the way it did. Of course I wanted it to be all peachy and sunshine, but that's not how growing up works. Jenny Han did not disappoint!

      Delete
    4. Woooohoooo! I'm so happy you loved it! Did you feel the sting on the last few chapters? I certainly did!

      Delete
    5. Yes! It was just the same as with PS. I Still Love You, I couldn't believe it was coming to an end and I was so not ready for it to finish, this time for good! :((
      But boy am I glad that my Peter & Lara Jean ship hasn't sailed into far away distance :P

      Delete
    6. I know, I was so glad too! But I can't help but think of you know some fanfic endings for them or continuation. But I AM SO SO HAPPY THEY'RE TOGETHER

      Delete
    7. I haven't read any fanfic about them. I was already really happy with the ending of the second book and I just wanted to stay in my happy little bubble where everything was okay and those two would never grow up :P

      Delete
    8. Trueeeee!!! But I am totally okay stopping at PS hahaha! So glad we both liked this series!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...